Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Desperate Design

The timer is set. It's like some kind of 10th-grade English class exam. I have 10 minutes to write this. So, should you feel the need to get out your red pen, please take a number. I've got milk spills, booger wiping and poop-filled diapers to take care of first.

I read this story -- or rather drooled over photos and a story -- in last week's home and garden section of our paper. It was about the home of a woman who owns a shop for cute, collectible odds and ends. It must be the kind of shop I loved to visit before toting around my own demolition crew of two boys.

I was in awe and the prettiness. And then just grinning a smug grin thinking about how I traded a cute house for cute kids. Right? Just go along with this. It makes me feel a little better. Even if for just five minutes. It also inspired me to take a few photos of my own place. You know, to show you how I decorate around here.


Any collection of similar items grouped together tell a little story. This one is a story of whimsy, childhood and a mother who dreams of enjoying a stiff drink while her child colors.


Repetition is key to any good design. I love how this baby gate repeats the strong, narrow vertical lines of the staircase. And to think, it was found at Babies R Us!

It's OK to introduce new colors to a room. In this breakfast nook, a hot pink and white striped towel serve dual purposes. It looks fantastic, and it keeps milk, red sauce, cheesey goo and other shit off of the expensive, custom upholstered bench cushions mommy picked out years before children. (The validity of this claim is in question based on the grease-stained cushions, but Mom likens it to wearing an uncomfortable pair of heels with the perfect dress -- despite the pain, it makes you feel better inside.)

This is a shining example of repurposing. What once was an Easter Basket from Grandma now serves as a portable diaper changing station. It often sits on this end table atop three-year-old magazines. Amy writes, "I love being able to wipe a poopy bottom while singing the 'Dinosaur Train' theme song with my older son. Our motto is, 'We don't break for shit.'"

1 comment: